Use Spacebar to Select

On the advice of a friend I am offering up a wee suggestion to y'all. After puzzling through two frustrating installers (Debian NP which uses a Morphix installer that holds you so firmly by the hand that you can't put /tmp on its own partition; then a woody vanilla cd that couldn't find my ethernet card) I was ready to give up and live with the old server until someone told me that the sarge installer is much nicer.

I wanted to hug the Sarge installer until I got to the "Software Selection" screen and I had to ask eight people how on earth I was supposed to select something.

The x key didn't work, enter didn't work, arrows and tabs just bounced me around the screen. I was going to loose my mind until someone said "Weird, why wouldn't the spacebar work?" and we concluded that for some folks using a spacebar to select options on a screen like that is 100% obvious, while for other folks (e.g. me) it is about as obvious as kicking the wall.

And four little words in the text of that screen would have totally cleared it up.

Just my two cents. I suspect most of you don't need to be told to us a spacebar to select something in that context. Thank you so much, though, for it is a great installer, even with that.

Peace,
amanda

Amanda Hickman
Circuit Rider