Re: Status about Debian Installer translations

On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 01:34:22PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Limitations in the archive scripts mean that we cannot upload a source
> package that produces only a byhand tarball and no debs. So the
> debian-installer package has to produce some kind of .deb package, and
> a .deb containing all of its documentation seemed like a reasonable
> thing to do.

Oh, understood, I've been reviewing the rules file for debian-installer.
One question: the rules file for the debian-installer just uses
binary-arch, shouldn't binary-indep be used to generate the
debian-installer-manual package instead?

> If you look at the boot-floppies, it provided install-doc in the same
> way, which included amoung other things, the same manual. I didn't
> realise I'd independantly hit upon the same solution to this problem
> until I looked at it today.

Yes, comparing both rules files I know see that it's possible.

> > > A major rewrite of chapter 2 is planned after the initrd's are final (are
> > > they yet?).
> >
> > Is there going to be a last upload of initrd? If so translators could use
> > it to update/review their translations.
>
> The last upload of the initrds was planned for over 3 weeks ago. We're
> so far in minus time now that I cannot give any sensible schedule. The
> last upload of the initrd will happen as soon as people stop finding
> bugs in the initrd contents that we cannot possibly release with.

Now, a new question: is it possible do reupload new
debian-installer-documentation without breaking the previous images? (if I
understand it correctly, debian-installer builds both the documentation and
the images of the CD-ROM, net, HD, etc. installatons)

If that's not possible, maybe the documentation package should be
independent from debian-installer. Would it actually make sense to have a
documentation-only source package that would generate the
debian-installer-deb and the byhand stuff? (just like other documentation
packages, like debian-guide, quick-reference, maint-guide, etc, are
handled)

(I'm thinking of new uploads of debian-installer after sarge has been
released...)

Regards

Javier