Re: Status about Debian Installer translations

Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> Is there any way these can be decoupled? In the woody days, the manual (and
> other documentation) would be retrieved from the package providing it when
> generating the CD-rom sets. I don't think it's good to have binary packages
> (initrd) coupled with non-binary packages (documentation). If someone can
> point me out to more information on how/why this is done I would really
> appreciate it.

Limitations in the archive scripts mean that we cannot upload a source
package that produces only a byhand tarball and no debs. So the
debian-installer package has to produce some kind of .deb package, and
a .deb containing all of its documentation seemed like a reasonable
thing to do.

If you look at the boot-floppies, it provided install-doc in the same
way, which included amoung other things, the same manual. I didn't
realise I'd independantly hit upon the same solution to this problem
until I looked at it today.

> > A major rewrite of chapter 2 is planned after the initrd's are final (are
> > they yet?).
>
> Is there going to be a last upload of initrd? If so translators could use
> it to update/review their translations.

The last upload of the initrds was planned for over 3 weeks ago. We're
so far in minus time now that I cannot give any sensible schedule. The
last upload of the initrd will happen as soon as people stop finding
bugs in the initrd contents that we cannot possibly release with.

--
see shy jo