Re: maybe I found two bugs

Ottavio Campana wrote:
 > After removing the raid controller and attaching the disks to the
motherboard I could install the whole system but I had a problem while trying to install the bootloader. It seems that the installer isn't able to install lio on xfs when xfs is on a md device. I had to boot a noppix and install it myself. Being an xfs fan, I know that some time ago there were problems with lilo, xfs and raid, but now it is fully sopported by xfs. I'm giving a llok around to the sources to see if it really is a bug. Is there anyone working on it? I could help fixing this.

I add one thing about this: I'm giving a look at
debian-installer/packages/arch/i386/lilo-installer/debian/postinst and if I've understood correctly, it is the postinst script that sets up lilo.

Well, I think it cannot work as it is with xfs on a md device. When you install lilo on an md device with xfs you have to pass this option to lilo.conf:

raid-extra-boot=mbr-only

Suppose yo've got a root device /dev/md0 and a boot device /dev/md1 . lilo.conf has to be written this way:

boot=/dev/md1
raid-extra-boot=mbr-only
root=/dev/md0

In this way lilo will be installed on all the mbr of the devices that compose /dev/md1. If you don't pass raid-extra-boot the installation with xfs will fail (you can give a look at lilo's doc for the description of the problem).

I can try and provide a patch for it, but I'd need help to check if it is correct and to try it (I don't know how to build the installer form the sources making an iso to burn).

Please contact me and I'll help you. :-)

--
Non c'è più forza nella normalità, c'è solo monotonia.