No sound in GNOME !!!

Installed sarge from with the debian.installer pre-rc2 netinst CD.
Used the official weekly binary snapshot from 20040925 for the rest.

I selected Slovene keyboard, "GNOME destop" package and mostly
accepted the default settings.

I log into the destop ( X11 / GNOME ) and ...

No sound !

No devices detected etc ... mixer does not work...

Hardware is VIA 82cxxxx ( works since ages under linux )

The mixer (volume control) in the upper right corner does not work.

The preferences/advanced/multimedia applet fails for testing.
( when pressing the test button it shows an error dialog )
The only choice in this dialog is ALSA.

lsmod suggests that the OSS modules are loaded.

I remember seeing OSS ( and esound and artsd ) as options in the
mentioned preferences applet in a previous installation of sarge
( using different options, settings, packages ..., but same versions,
except kernel was 2.6.x )

Known issue ? Submit a bug ?

Regards,
xerces

P.S.: Is there a way to search existing debian bugs by keywords ?
I couldn't find a way, the page http://www.debian.org/Bugs/ only knows
to search by package, source package, maintainer email, submitter email,
severity or tag. Google does not seem to have access to the bugs.