summary of recent events (read this)

Plan:

8 Oct   initrd builds start for rc2
21 Oct  initrd builds finish (or earlier..)
        last day for uploads of any udebs or debs for rc2

Reality:

12 Oct  languagechooser changed to use UTF-8 for Hebrew
12 Oct  start building "final" d-i initrds.
13 Oct  build failed on hppa and m68k
14 Oct  start building "final" d-i initrds, with fixes for hppa and m68k.
15 Oct  finished building "final" d-i initrds.
16 Oct  powerpc floppies overfull
17 Oct	rootskel changed with no discussion to use utf-8 for serial console
17 Oct  rootskel change tested (broke things) and reverted
18 Oct  kbd-chooser changed to better support Turkish, Hebrew,
        Lithuanian, Latvian
18 Oct  languagechooser changed to install localization-config more often
18 Oct  Turns out UTF-8 hebrew was untested. languagechooser change of
        12 Oct reverted.
18 Oct  rootskel finished building (after manual builds on some arches)
18 Oct  ddetect changed to fix airport interface ordering
19 Oct  mips initrds overfull. ths suggests that we switch mips to
        partman. I have serious doubts. We remove stuff from mips
	initrds that we know will be dropped no matter which route is
	taken.
19 Oct  kbd-chooser and ddetect finish building
19 Oct  New sparc 2.6 kernel udebs uploaded, without any prior warning.
19 Oct  Verification that ddetect change worked, no problems (it seems..)
19 Oct  Turns out that the languagechooser locaization-config change
        was not tested and that it now installs always, and that it
	breaks on at least ia64. languagechoser change reverted.

As you can see, we have a lot of untested and poorly tested changes
being made, and this along with a general lack of testing of whether d-i
works on some architectures (despite the release of pre-rc2) has led to
the final initrd builds being pushed further and further back. It's now
11 days behind schedule, and we've exhausted all of our padding, so
every day we slip now will delay the final release. This means that any
given change that is made needs to be important enough to delay the
release for if it turns out not to work.

This is exactly what happened before the release of beta4[1].
This is quite like what happened before the release of rc1[2].
Can we please find a way not to do this? It's giving me ulcers.

--
see shy jo

[1] http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/beta4/
[2] http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/the_release_problem-2004-07-22-23-23