Re: d-i pre-rc2 has support for russian installation broken

> > If at all possible, I think this upload should revert change, making
> > it install console-cyrillic again. As a quick look shows, code
> > currently in base-config expects console-cyrillic, and that's thr
> > Right Thing.
>
> It may be Right Thing only for machines with AT keyboards. On machines
> with other keyboards console-cyrillic will make keyboard unusable (bug
> #271308).

Oops...  I didn't know about that. If so, probably visual effects I
described should be considered minor. If things are this way, an (urgent)
upload of languagechhoser shuold do what Nikolai said.

Although I prefer to use console-cyrillic at least when it is usable (i.e.
on AT keyboard). However, this ts not the thing that should be changed
just before the release.

> > The fact is that console-cyrillic is the only tool currently in debian
> > that can properly set up cyrillic VGA console (not framebuffer but VGA
> > console). The problem goes deep into VGA: koi8 uses character codes
> > 0xC0 - oxFF. which do interfer with some VGA control settings. This
> > causes vertical lines (in debconf dialogs, in mc, etc) to be
> > non-continious. To overcome that, a complex mapping has to be defined,
> > such that KOI codes don't actually go to VGA console. Console-cyrillic
> > does that. Colsole-tools does not.
>
> I tried installing Debian in Ukrainian using font ruscii_8x16 used by
> termwrap for Russian and Bulgarian (version in unstable, there is a
> patch for Ukrainian but it was not applied, I changed fort manually). I
> see no described deffects.

Last time I checked russian installation without console-cyrillic, I could
see the effect. But that was several months ago. Probably
specially-configured console-tools could do the appropriate re-mapping. In
past times, there was 'koi2alt.trans' file there, and a command-line
option to load it...  Don't know how to hack that now.

> > Also, console-cyrillic gives a rich set of settings for cyrillic
> > console. It's almoist a must-have on russian system.
>
> It will be instaled during second stage for all supported Cyrillic
> languages.

... and left unconfigured (i.e. not setting up console at system boot) in
most cases - corresponding debconf question is of priority medium, and
defaults no "no" :(.