Re: LVM on software RAID - LILO

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 15:17, Eugeniy Meshcheryakov wrote:
> I do not think that lilo can be booted from md device, try to use one
> of the physical volumes of this device (or disk device). Does lilo-installer display any
> disk devices (hda, sda...) in the menu?
[...]
> GRUB probably cannot boot operating system from LV, lilo can.

Has anyone tried the following workaround:

/boot on RAID1 with N physical partitions
/root, /usr, /var, etc. on LVM, with LVM on either RAID1 or RAID5?

That would mean /root on RAID5 would be possible, by using a small
portion of the disks as a RAID1 on which /boot is placed. And if I've
understood things correctly, GRUB should be usable in this case.

I'm going to try this out soon, but if there is any experience with
this, please post to the list. If it works, I think this should be
supported in d-i and documented.

Cheers,
--
Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net>