2 known problems related to ADSL/PPP (Ex: Adding ADSL/PPPOE (SpeedTouch 530) as a known problem)

Le 2004-10-05 11:24 (mardi), M.-A. DARCHE a écrit /
On 2004-10-05 11:24 (mardi), M.-A. DARCHE wrote :

> I think that the "ADSL/PPPOE (SpeedTouch 530)" problem should be added to
> the errata for pre-rc2 as a known problem:
> http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/errata#pre-rc2
>
> This problem has been reported several times it seems, and just for the
> record here are 2 bugs that show it:
>
> The new errata item could be phrased like this:
>
>   * Network configuration fails for computers using router modems like
>     Alcatel SpeedTouch 530, that is some modems which provide both DHCP
>     and PPP services.
>     Using Debian-Installer with such a configuration is possible but not
>     automated yet. The manual workaround is described in the
>     http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=265183 bug report.
>

> I know other people disturbed by this bug too, they don't have filled
> installation reports though. This modem and this situation are quite
> common here in France.

Actually it would be better to actually add *2* known problems to the
errata related to ADSL/PPP:

  * Network configuration is not automatic for machines using PPPoE for
    their ADSL connexion. It it possible to setup an ADSL/PPPoE
    connexion with the Debian-Installer but there isn't any menu item
    for it in the installer yet. This will be addressed soon. In the
    meanwhile the workaround is, at the beginning of the second phase
    (after the reboot done by the installer), to switch to a virtual
    console (Ctrl-Alt-Functionkey) and then run pppoeconf from here.

  * Network configuration fails for computers using router modems like
    Alcatel SpeedTouch 530, that is some DSL modems which provide both
    DHCP and PPP services.
    Using Debian-Installer with such a configuration is still possible
    but not automated yet. The manual workaround is described in the
    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=265183 bug report.

Does anyone find those additions worthwhile? Would anyone add this to
http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/errata#pre-rc2 ?

--
Marc-Aurèle DARCHE  <http://www.cynode.org/>
AFUL <http://www.aful.org/>