Re: usb memory stick booting w/ grub

Hello,

> Andres Salomon wrote:
>> Hrm.  What ends up happening?  Where does it fail?
>
> On my test laptop, it just doesn't try to boot from usb at all
> apparently and goes on to boot the grub on the system's hard disk.

It depends on the BIOS. My Toshiba laptop does not boot from USB
at all. But another Dell laptop does boot into the USB-HDD. Just press
F12, with Dell and you can select which media to boot from.

I don't use the installer. But, I have built Sarge-based Linux systems
to be booted from a USB flash drive using grub. Grub has worked
very well! From Grub's view, when the BIOS is set to boot from
USB-HDD, the USB flash drive is hd0. Once Linux has come up, it is
the SCSI (/dev/sda) drive.

Bao