LVM on top of RAID. Not possible?

Hi.

Based on an installation i performed with a previous release of Debian (huh!
cannot recall which one or even how i did it, once year ago...) i installed
debian with rc1 on a system with two disks.

The intended configuration was to create a raid1 system, with 64M for /boot,
12G for / and 105G for /var

After noticing that at least /boot had not to be under raid1 with the default
kernel, i got it working using raid1 for / and /var.

The installation needed some manual hack to pvcreate a PV with /dev/md/1
(which, BTW, became /dev/md1 after reboot !!).

The problem came when i moved the disks to another machine. Under the new
system the disks were not hda and hdc, but hda and hdb. Raid got confused and
could not recreate the raid under /dev/md0, but it used one disk and the
second could be introduced back in the raid manually with mdadm.

However LVM found that the LVM string in both disks was the same (maybe
because LVM2 sent the same string to /dev/md/1 instead of realizing that they
were two disks) and refused to use both, mounting /dev/hda3 as /var and not
allowing a raid to be created on that mount point.

Am i missing something or we are releasing Sarge so that we cannot create LVM
disks on top of RAID?

I know LVM2 uses device mapper and MIRROR and SNAPSHOT have been only recently
introduced in the kernel, but i am still puzzled we cannot get it working.

Please, rant against me if i missed something.
--
Jesus Climent                                      info:www.pumuki.org
Unix SysAdm|Linux User #66350|Debian Developer|2.4.26|Helsinki Finland

If a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man.
		--Minister (A clockwork orange)