Re: [coLinux-devel] Re: debian (sarge rc1) installer and colinux (snapshot 20040710)

peter green wrote:
http://www.colinux.org
http://www.colinux.org/wiki

basically colinux is a tool that allows running of linux under windows in a
manner that is on the surface similar to user-mode-linux although it works
very differently internally

so far we have largely relied on distributing filesystem images either built
manually with packaging tools copied from user-mode-linux systems or imaged
from installs on real hardware

however it would be very nice to be able to actually install distros on
colinux using those distros installers

And the main problem is that the coLinux block devices for filesystems are not entire disk images but rather partition images, so there is no actual partition table, nor can their be.

coLinux can use a file on the host filesystem as a partition image on which to mount a file system or it can mount a real partition that has not been mounted by the host (windows) OS (providing it is a supported file system of course).

I guess these means the debian installer would have to be content to see some block devices on which to build a file system and not insist so intently on there being a partition table available

OR

maybe colinux block devices could fake a partition table (either based on the real one or totally fake) but refuse to allow a new partition table to be written?

Sam