Re: libc-udeb vs libc6?

[Please stop CCing me; I read debian-boot.]

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 03:26:25PM +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> >On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 11:14:21AM +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> >>Yes, libc6-udeb provides "libc6", but dash-udeb depends on
> >>"libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4)", which is not(!!!) provided by
> >>libc6-udeb.
> >
> >apt-get does not allow versioned dependencies to be satisfied by
> >provides. However, anna (which is used in place of apt for udeb
> >retrieval by debian-installer) does allow this. Testing with apt-get
> >will not give you useful answers.
>
> Sorry, I am still trying to become familiar with d-i's build
> procedure. AFAIK anna is not used for building d-i, but at
> d-i's runtime. Building d-i requires apt-get to download and
> install udebs, e.g. in the top level get-packages script.

apt-get never actually installs udebs; 'apt-get install' is only ever
run in download-only mode. It's true that you need to satisfy all their
non-udeb dependencies and build-dependencies in the build system.

> Anyway, I am not interested in making the error message disappear
> somehow. I was talking about getting rid of the inconsistency in
> d-i's build environment. Surely it is not OK that the
> Packages file in main/debian-installer contains dependencies to
> external *.deb files.

It doesn't really; they should all be satisfiable within d-i itself. The
build system just handles them a bit strangely.

Note also that satisfying the debian-installer package's
build-dependencies in the build system should be sufficient to use the
d-i build system.

Cheers,