Re: libc-udeb vs libc6?

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 11:14:21AM +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> >On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 02:45:14PM +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> >>Whats behind the story about libc-udeb vs libc6? Several udebs depend
> >>upon libc6, even though this package is not included in d-i, e.g.
> >>busybox-cvs-udeb, dash-udeb, etc. Other tools depend on libc-udeb as
> >>expected (e.g. nano-udeb).
> >
> >libc6-udeb provides libc6, so it doesn't matter. The dependencies on
> >libc6 are mostly generated automatically using the shlibdeps mechanism.
>
> Yes, libc6-udeb provides "libc6", but dash-udeb depends on
> "libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4)", which is not(!!!) provided by
> libc6-udeb.

apt-get does not allow versioned dependencies to be satisfied by
provides. However, anna (which is used in place of apt for udeb
retrieval by debian-installer) does allow this. Testing with apt-get
will not give you useful answers.

> Since I am installing udebs on the target system without access to the
> configuration of the build system I get

You can't usefully install udebs on a normal system. I would advise
against trying.

Cheers,