Re: problem(?) with iso-8859-2 capital letters

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 12:17:20AM +0200, Bartosz Fenski aka fEnIo wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 03:06:11PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > > Is it possible that installer has problems with capital national
> > > characters? Friend told me that every other national characters are ok, but
> > > occurencies of national character "with capslock" are broken.
> >
> > > The other example is PRZESTRZEŃ (AREA) which is shown as PRZESTRZEN.
> >
> > Do you know if these are represented as pre-composed characters in your
> > translations, or if your translations contain combining characters for
> > some accents?  bterm (the framebuffer unicode terminal used by d-i) does
> > not appear to support combining characters.

> Sorry, but I don't understand above.
> What exacly is pre-composed character and what is the difference between it
> and combining character?

A pre-composed character is a single character containing both the
letter and the accent.  A combining character is a "zero-width" accent
character that's combined with the base letter character to produce an
accented letter when rendered.

But it looks like most of the Polish translations are in iso-8859-2,
which doesn't include combining characters.

> > > Any hints? Suggestions? Is it possible that d-i uses fonts which don't
> > > include capital letters in foreign languages?
> > > Does any other language has similar problems?

> > It's possible, but that doesn't really explain why the right letter
> > would appear without the accent.  That would specifically require a
> > buggy font that has the glyph for Z where it should have Ż.

> I hope that Kęstutis solution will fix the problem.
> debian-installer/installer/build/needed-characters/README seems to be very
> related to my problem.

It isn't.  If this were a problem of missing characters, then "Ż" would
become "", not "Z".

I've just checked unifont.bdf, though, and it does include an accent for
character U+017B.

Is it possible this was a bug in the translation that was later fixed?

> I tried to commit pl file, but seems that there is something wrong with
> svn.debian.org. I can't authenticate myself :/
> There was probably some announce about it, but I'm quite busy right now,
> and don't follow each discussion/mailing list.

alioth was having directory service issues which have just been
resolved.  If you're still having problems, we'll have to ask the alioth
admins to look into it.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer