Re: localization-config uploaded (former locale-config-skolelinux)

On Τρι 17 Αυγ 2004 23:21, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Konstantinos Margaritis]
>
> > Why don't we just use UTF-8? I've been using for Greek for more
> > than a year and it's been much easier (and Greek is a difficult
> > case anyway). And it solves all these silly problems of @euro and
> > weird encodings. Not to mention it's more universal.
>
> Nah, don't think so, yet.

Ok, though it will have to be done eventually...

> There has been lots of UTF-8 glibc fixes the last year, and I
> suspect more are to come as RedHat and others keep finding bugs.
> And I know from experience that using UTF-8 all over give
> compatibility problems. Did you ever try to log into a Solaris box
> from a RedHat 9 box using UTF-8?  I did.  All 8bit chars were
> messed up.

True, my only experience reg UTF-8 was with other Linux boxes and I
could easily enable UTF-8 support in them.
I don't know if it is even possible to have UTF-8 support in other *ix
systems.

On the other hand, it you use a ISO-8859-1 enc and login to a system
which uses say, a Russian encoding (KOI8-R, which I believe is 8-bit)
all high-ASCII characters would look weird...

It's not really my call anyway :-)

Konstantinos