Re: localization-config uploaded (former locale-config-skolelinux)

Quoting Petter Reinholdtsen (pere@hungry.com):

> As far as I know, nl_NL is using the EURO, and need to use a charset
> capable of representing the currency symbol.  ISO-8859-1 is not able
> to represent the EURO symbol, so these countries need to use a locale
> with a different charset.
>
> Dutch should because of this use the nl_NL@euro locale, not nl_NL.

What you're saying here indeed, is that the nl_NL as well as fr_FR and
so on locales are indeed inconsistent and should *never* be used....

> > bubulle seems to feel that there's no real difference and that the locales
> > without @euro are good enough, but I/m not yet convinced.
> > However, I know very little about locales :-/
>
> It isn't, if you want strfmon() to work.  And you do want strfmon() to
> work.  Trust me on that one. :)

I will trust you. I am like Frans, not completely understanding the
implications of the charset pointed by locales, but I feel the
inconsistency somewhere.

All this goes further : why do we keep these locales if they are not
consistent?