Re: Remove of mdrun from mdadm package

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 02:04:34 -0700, Joshua Kwan wrote:
> Yes, but currently it's not copied into /etc/mdadm. I had no time to test
> that it works. Now that mdrun works for 2.6 again, do you think any
> specific shortcoming of it really makes a difference for possible installs
> of Debian?
>
> I will test it if you come up with a good reason to remove mdrun :)

It seems to be possible that the order of the md devices is changed,
if you change something with your hard disks.

I just uploaded a new version of the mdadm package, that still contains
mdrun, but that uses mdrun only, if no mdadm.conf was found. Perhaps that's
a good solution for the release. But I still think, creating a mdadm.conf
is safer than using mdrun.

IMHO it's possible to create a usable mdadm.conf with the following lines:

DEVICE="DEVICE "
ARRAY=""

mdadm --detail --scan | ( while read LINE ; do
    ARRAY="${ARRAY}`echo $LINE | sed -n -e 's/\(^ARRAY.*\)/\1\\\\n/p'`"
    DEVICE="${DEVICE} `echo $LINE | sed -n -e 'y/,/ /' -e 's/^devices=\(.*\)$/\1/p'`"
done ; echo ${DEVICE} ; echo -n -e ${ARRAY} )

Cheers, Mario

--
                                      ,,,
                   Mario Joußen      (o o)      mario@joussen.org