RC1 - successes and failures.

Just a very quick note on five installs on various hardware.

Alpha PWS433 Miata with QLogic scsi card - install goes perfectly but
ends in kernel panic on reboot. Either aboot is not correctly set up /
the qlogic module is loaded by the installer kernel and not by the real
kernel. This is currently a showstopper for me - Steve Langasek and co.
are aware of the problem. It'll be fixed in RC2, I've no doubt. But the
install process is pretty bloody perfect up to that point :)

Dell Dimension PIII 500MHz machine: full of obscure SCSI devices. RC1
correctly detects and initialises two separate SCSI cards, an Adaptec
2940 and a Tekram DC390T which had always been problematic. APM/ACPI on
this machine has always been iffy so I wasn't surprised when it didn't
power down immediately after the install completed.  Perfect, quick
install.

Self build machine based on an Intel desktop board with P4 at 1.6GHz,
40GB Maxtor drive as /dev/hdb. Initial install passing linux26 as the
boot parameter failed at the partitioning stage when no disk was found.
expert26 succeeded at this point and produced a working installation
Standard 2.4 install went through without a hitch. [Three install
attempts, one failure here]

Compaq Prosignia 500 server: has a (known) bug whereby the EISA firmware only
reports 16M of memory no matter how much is installed :( Won't boot the
installer: will boot Woody from floppies if need be, so will have to rebuild
this machine, updating buggy Compaq software "firmware" and then update
to Sarge. Should be OK, will keep you posted on this. All SCSI
hardware - that was recognised without a problem, at least.

Now on to Sparc 20 with SMP :)

HTH,

Andy