Re: RC1: anna started without dists name

> The thing seems to be mounting kernel error disapeared now as I
> remember.  That may be the source of problem.  I think it should error
> and reset kernel IDE driver to use non-DMA mode.
>
> (So no need for my patch in a sense.  This relied on kernel error and
> remount.)
>
> By the way, for boot-loader kernel, do we care about performance gain of
> DMA?  If not disable them all together for stability.

I agree. Herbert proposed this as the fix and I can verify that DMA is
the source of the problem (see below).

> Or should we have sleep inserted after mount/umount to stabilize system?
It might help, it might not.

I think your patch is fine to leave in, it attempts to do something same
when hardware misbehaves. And whether or not the installer kernel has
DMA off for cdroms, I think it is worth patching  cdrom-detect.postinst.
I'll file a bug report to that effect.

Cheers
Vince