Re: RC1: anna started without dists name

On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 02:02:52PM +1000, Vincent.McIntyre@csiro.au wrote:
> > I can not get exact log out due to missing libutil.so.1 :)
> > But my RC1 install fails on some machine (one which had hard time
> > mounting CD initially) with;
> >
> > .... anna[4147]: /cdrom/dists//Release
> > .... anna[4147]: : No such file or directory
> >
> > I have cdrom mounted and /cdrom/dists/*/RElease exist all right.
>
> I see this too, on Dell Latitude CPiA. This appears to be a reappearance
> of #250323.
>
> > Where should I look into?
> > Is there any work around?  It look like missing dists name.
>
> The problem seems to be the symlinks on the cdrom
>  (/cdrom/dists/{stable,testing,unstable}) are interpreted as files,
> and not as symlinks.

I see that to.  I was wondering what are these files.

The thing seems to be mounting kernel error disapeared now as I
remember.  That may be the source of problem.  I think it should error
and reset kernel IDE driver to use non-DMA mode.

(So no need for my patch in a sense.  This relied on kernel error and
remount.)

By the way, for boot-loader kernel, do we care about performance gain of
DMA?  If not disable them all together for stability.

Or should we have sleep inserted after mount/umount to stabilize system?

Osamu