[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Bug#264477: marked as done (Should preserve partition numbering)



Your message dated Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:29:38 +0300
with message-id <20040812182938.GW744@logic.fmi.uni-sofia.bg>
and subject line Bug#264450: Installation Report
has caused the attached Bug report to be marked as done.

This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
Bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.

(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what I am
talking about this indicates a serious mail system misconfiguration
somewhere.  Please contact me immediately.)

Debian bug tracking system administrator
(administrator, Debian Bugs database)

--------------------------------------
Received: (at submit) by bugs.debian.org; 8 Aug 2004 22:25:30 +0000
>From mbanck@gmx.net Sun Aug 08 15:25:30 2004
Return-path: <mbanck@gmx.net>
Received: from pop.gmx.net (mail.gmx.net) [213.165.64.20] 
	by spohr.debian.org with smtp (Exim 3.35 1 (Debian))
	id 1Btw6c-0005zn-00; Sun, 08 Aug 2004 15:25:30 -0700
Received: (qmail 18058 invoked by uid 65534); 8 Aug 2004 22:24:58 -0000
Received: from dj.stud.chemie.tu-muenchen.de (EHLO nighthawk.oase.mhn.de) (129.187.128.65)
  by mail.gmx.net (mp023) with SMTP; 09 Aug 2004 00:24:58 +0200
X-Authenticated: #686195
Received: from mbanck by nighthawk.oase.mhn.de with local (Exim 4.34)
	id 1Btw8D-0001OV-7v
	for submit@bugs.debian.org; Mon, 09 Aug 2004 00:27:09 +0200
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 00:27:09 +0200
From: Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org>
To: submit@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Installation Report
Message-ID: <[🔎] 20040808222709.GA4935@nighthawk.oase.mhn.de>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Disposition: inline
User-Agent: Mutt/1.5.6+20040523i
Sender: Michael Banck <mbanck@gmx.net>
Delivered-To: submit@bugs.debian.org
X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 2.60-bugs.debian.org_2004_03_25 
	(1.212-2003-09-23-exp) on spohr.debian.org
X-Spam-Status: No, hits=-8.0 required=4.0 tests=BAYES_00,HAS_PACKAGE 
	autolearn=no version=2.60-bugs.debian.org_2004_03_25
X-Spam-Level: 

Package: installation-reports

INSTALL REPORT

Debian-installer-version: RC1
Method: Business-Card i386 ISO of RC1, installing base over http/proxy

Machine: IBM Thinkpad R51
Processor: Pentium M/1.5GHz
Memory: 512MB
Root Device: IC25N040ATMR04-0, ATA DISK drive
Root Size/partition table:  
    hda1  Primary   Linux ext3  4999.94    (Debian GNU/Linux)
    hda5  Logical   Linux ext2  1599.90    (Debian GNU/Hurd)
    hda9  Logical   Linux ext3  1599.90  /
    hda6  Logical   Linux ext3  27155.43   (data)
    hda7  Logical   Linux swap  1023.94  swap
    hda8  Logical   Linux ext2  3628.68    (data)

Output of lspci and lspci -n:

Base System Installation Checklist:
[O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it

Initial boot worked:    [O]
Configure network HW:   [O]
Config network:         [O]
Detect CD:              [O]
Load installer modules: [O]
Detect hard drives:     [O]
Partition hard drives:  [O]
Create file systems:    [O]
Mount partitions:       [O]
Install base system:    [O]
Install boot loader:    [ ]
Reboot:                 [E]

Comments/Problems:

1. It was previously suggested to rename the inital boot dialog, like
s/press Return to boot/press Return to install Debian/ or something

2. If I don't have a network cable plugged in, I get asked for an IP
address. It's possible to go back and then select 'No network
configuration' (or something), but having a button like 'Continue
without configuring the network' right there intially would be better.
Though that's probably i) not easy with debconf and ii) too late for
sarge anyway

3. As it wasn't immediatly obvious how to reformat a partition with
partman, I (perhaps foolishly) decided to delete and re-create /dev/hda6
(on which some other ext2 previously existed). However, the format
dialog and subsequent dialogs talked about /dev/hda9 being
created/written to, which made me a bit nervous. I finally figured out
that partman renumbered the devices (see above partition listing),
adding /dev/hda9 at the place of the former /dev/hda6 but calling it
/dev/hda9. Oh well, that was a bit unsuspected and I had to change the
/etc/fstab of my other partition to fix it. If it is possible the
partition numbering should be preserved IMHO.

4. I did not install Grub so I can't tell whether my GNU/Hurd partition
has been detected and included correctly, but I could test that another
time if needed.

5. On reboot, during the bootup sequence, the framebuffer switched to a
different font which yielded about twice as many lines on the console
(to my liking). However, as soon as base-config started (or perhaps
shortly before), the console became totally corrupted and scrambled. It
was possible to figure out that I was looking at the base-config screen
and changing virtual consoles worked, but I was not able to read
anything.

This was with the default 2.4 kernel. I later reinstalled passing
'kernel26' to d-i, which worked fine (though the console font stayed at
the intial size/number of lines)

6. I did not select any tasks in tasksel but rather did 'apt-get install
gnome' from the console (I don't like how both KDE and GNOME get
installed by the desktop task, but oh well). I also installed
x-window-system-core and before that discover, mdetect, read-edid.
Configuring X was mostly alright and I noticed that the synaptic
touchpad driver got loaded during it at one point. However, after
reboot, the driver did not get loaded and X failed to come up. I had to
manually add psmouse to /etc/modules.

That's about it. Needless to say I'm pretty proud of y'all :)


Michael


Install logs and other status info is available in
/var/log/debian-installer/.

---------------------------------------
Received: (at 264477-done) by bugs.debian.org; 12 Aug 2004 18:26:02 +0000
>From zinoviev@fmi.uni-sofia.bg Thu Aug 12 11:26:02 2004
Return-path: <zinoviev@fmi.uni-sofia.bg>
Received: from lio.fmi.uni-sofia.bg (smtp.fmi.uni-sofia.bg) [62.44.101.7] 
	by spohr.debian.org with esmtp (Exim 3.35 1 (Debian))
	id 1BvKH3-0000BN-00; Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:26:02 -0700
Received: from logic.fmi.uni-sofia.bg ([62.44.100.59])
	by smtp.fmi.uni-sofia.bg;
	Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:23:11 +0300
Received: from zinoviev by logic.fmi.uni-sofia.bg with local (Exim 3.35 #1 (Debian))
	id 1BvKKY-0001FO-00; Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:29:38 +0300
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:29:38 +0300
From: Anton Zinoviev <anton@lml.bas.bg>
To: Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org>, 264477-done@bugs.debian.org
Subject: Re: Bug#264450: Installation Report
Message-ID: <20040812182938.GW744@logic.fmi.uni-sofia.bg>
References: <[🔎] 20040808222709.GA4935@nighthawk.oase.mhn.de>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Disposition: inline
In-Reply-To: <[🔎] 20040808222709.GA4935@nighthawk.oase.mhn.de>
User-Agent: Mutt/1.3.28i
Sender: Anton Zinoviev <zinoviev@fmi.uni-sofia.bg>
Delivered-To: 264477-done@bugs.debian.org
X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 2.60-bugs.debian.org_2004_03_25 
	(1.212-2003-09-23-exp) on spohr.debian.org
X-Spam-Status: No, hits=-5.0 required=4.0 tests=BAYES_01,HAS_BUG_NUMBER 
	autolearn=no version=2.60-bugs.debian.org_2004_03_25
X-Spam-Level: 

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 12:27:09AM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> 
> 3. As it wasn't immediatly obvious how to reformat a partition with
> partman, I (perhaps foolishly) decided to delete and re-create /dev/hda6
> (on which some other ext2 previously existed). However, the format
> dialog and subsequent dialogs talked about /dev/hda9 being
> created/written to, which made me a bit nervous. I finally figured out
> that partman renumbered the devices (see above partition listing),
> adding /dev/hda9 at the place of the former /dev/hda6 but calling it
> /dev/hda9. Oh well, that was a bit unsuspected and I had to change the
> /etc/fstab of my other partition to fix it. If it is possible the
> partition numbering should be preserved IMHO.

It is not possible to keep the numbering in all cases and in my opinion
parted/partman tries to do its best.

When the partition table contains hda7 it must contain also hda6.  This
makes the renumbering when you delete hda6 necessary.

When you recreate it again it is possible to renumber again the
partitions (as cfdisk does).  Cfdisk does this because it can not handle
partition tables where the partitions are not ordered on the disk
acording to their numbers.  However partman and parted never renumber
the partitions when a new partition is created.

If you edit you partition table a lot then soon the immutable logical
partitions will receive small numbers that will not change.  Only the
numbers of the partitions that you change often will change.  I consider
this behaviour preferable to what cfdisk does.

I am closing this bug.  Thanks for reporting problems in the installer.

Anton Zinoviev



Reply to: