Re: pathologically unstable kernel in sarge

Martin Stiaszny wrote:
> Let me start at the begining - I burned the rc1 cd netinstall candidate
> for sarge on 6/21/04

I doubt it, that was not released until this Saturday.

> installed it, and everything was good for 2
> months.  Last friday, I was trying to fix the libpng vulnerability, and
> in the process of installing aptitude, my apt-get replaced my libgcc1
> and some other stuff.  This broke gcc.  Some friends said it was most
> likely just a broken dependency somewhere, so I did a dist-upgrade to
> get everything back in sync.  This fixed my gcc, but the dist-upgrade
> also took the liberty of installing a new kernel, which is,
> unfortunately, completely unstable.  Like, it reboots every 20 seconds.
>
> To be 100% sure this problem was real, I just burned the rc1 cd
> netinstall candidate from debian.org today and re-installed from
> scratch.  The install couldn't even finish because as soon as it
> rebooted wtih this new kernel, it crashed 20 seconds later.  I'm on a
> Dell Dimension 2350.  What is going on here?  I have never had this kind
> of problem from debian before.  How far away is sarge from going stable?

Check to see if hotplug or discover are loading a -tco module, such as
i180-tco. These are hardware watchdogs and will reboot your machine.

Failing that, write to the kernel people, I'd suggest a bug report on
whatever the kernel package is.

--
see shy jo