Re: Opinion about sarge install

On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 11:56:00PM +0100, peter green wrote:
> > It would probably be interesting and useful for the X packaging
> > team to see
> > a diff between the config that was generated from configuring X and the
> > config you ultimately had to use to get X working. In my experience,
> > provided you give the X configuration the right input, it does a
> > reasonable
> > job of getting X working.
> i think the point is that the X setup tool needs a full auto mode
> almost every other distro has auto setup of X (even some debian based ones
> like KNOPPIX)
> normal users CANNOT be expected to answer those kind of questions

You should jump on debian-x@lists.debian.org and have a discussion about
this. I think it's been discussed in the past.

The main thing is, Knoppix runs on 1 architecture, the X configuration has
to work on all 11. I believe Branden has said in the past that autodetection
of the monitor and video card can have undesirable results (like hanging the
system) on some combinations of hardware and architectures.

That said, it may be feasible to autodetect everything on i386, which is the
probably the architecture that X is most installed on... I don't know. Talk
to the X folks if you feel strongly about it.

regards

Andrew