Re: Debian-Installer release candidate 1

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> The Debian-Installer team announces the first release candidate of the
> Debian sarge installer. Significant improvements in this release of the
> installer include:
>  - Native port to the amd64 architecture. Note that amd64 packages are not
>    yet available in the Debian archive; packages and images are available
>    from the Debian amd64 project. <http://www.debian.org/ports/amd64/>

Release candidate CD/DVD images are not yet build for amd64 but will
be coming shortly after the sarge repository (till now it was sid
only) becomes active. But the latest D-I images (netboot and netinst)
work very well.

>  - Translated into 40 languages (36 fully complete), including new
>    translations to Croatian and Farsi.

Lacking (automatic) framebuffer support on amd64 the stranger
languages won't work there. Textmode only.

What other archs face the same problem?

>  - The latest and greatest versions of everything from Debian's testing
>    distribution, which is close to official release itself.

Great job everyone.

> We're confident that this is our best release ever, so give it a try,
> install Debian today, and don't forget to file an installation report so we
> can continue to make the installer even better.
>
> Links to bootable images and documentation are on our web site.
> <http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/>
>
> --
> see shy jo

MfG