Re: sid on alpha

Hi Martin,

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 01:09:58PM -0500, Martin J Rosenstein wrote:

> A few comments on the booting process and the over-all package on alpha:
> UP2000+ all scsi 750 mhz processor 1mb ram 36gb u160 ibm hd

> Had to add an ide cd to get the netboot iso image to boot.  The beta4 did
> not work for me, but the iso from 7/23 worked well enough to start the
> process.

> Partitioning is a BIG problem.  None of the canned partitioning schemes
> were bootable after the install.

What URL did you download this 7/23 image from?  I'm pretty sure that
the 7/23 sid_d-i images should have at least warned you about the
autopartitioning problems, and asked you to correct your partition
layout.

> I couldn't get into fdisk on a console ("could not open   /dev/sda"
> messages), so I partitioned using the old Redhat 7.2 cd I had.

The installer uses devfs; there is no /dev/sda, you would want
/dev/discs/disc0/disc instead.

> It would not load up anything but the base system, so I got all the rest
> (X11, kde, gnome, etc.) usind apt-get once I booted and became root.

What does "would not load up" mean?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer