/etc/fstab problem on S/390: which package? Userdevfs?

The /etc/fstab written for S/390 assumes old-style, static /dev entries:
/dev/dasda1, /dev/dasdb1, and so on.

Unfortunately, the installed system does not have those device nodes,
but instead has devfs: /dev/dasd/<address>/part1, etc.

The first device (/dev/dasda) works in /etc/fstab and in the IPL parms,
presumably because there's no filesystem there yet for it not to find
its device node in.  All subsequent ones fail, as you can see from the
log at the bottom.

So I think we need static device nodes created in /dev for S/390.

/dev/dasda -> b 94 0
/dev/dasda[1-3] -> b 94 [1-3]
/dev/dasdb -> b 94 4
/dev/dasdb[1-3] -> b 94 [5-7]

and so on.  /dev/dasd[a-z] is almost certainly enough for the installer;
after that you go to /dev/dasdaa, but I think 26 disks is enough to get
almost any site started.

I *think* this should go into subarch-dev in userdevfs, but I definitely
would like some confirmation of that before committing any changes.

Adam

*******INSTALL LOG*********

On IPL from DASD after installation:

Checking all file systems...
fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/dasdb1
/dev/dasdb1:
filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
superblock:
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

fsck failed.  Please repair manually.

[....drop into root shell....]

ls /dev/dasd*
0150  0151  0152
(none):~#

(none):~# mount /dev/dasd/0151/part1 /tmp
mount /dev/dasd/0151/part1 /tmp
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.19, 19 August 2002 on dasd(94,5), internal journal
(none):~# swapon /dev/dasd/0152/part1
swapon /dev/dasd/0152/part1
Adding Swap: 99156k swap-space (priority -1)
(none):~#