Re: Some reflections on the future of partman [was: Partman]

Anton Zinoviev schrieb:

3. See how this problem is solved by SuSE - YaST supports both text and
graphical installs, both have very nice look and as far as I know there
is almost no duplicate code (due to text+graphics).

Not everything is good, that looks pretty.
Some weeks ago I tried to install Suse 9.0 on my test machine, ordinary Celeron 600 with a 106 GB IDE-HDD. hda1 - hda8 are used by other installations. Suse partitioner was unable to create a hda9 und did not recognize the full 160 GB disk size. Thus I installed Suse under VMware with sarge as host, which was straight ahead. There it should live, captured on a single virtual disk.

Other situation, other box. Knoppix 3.4 hd-install uses now a graphical partitioner, gtk-parted AFAIR, instead of good old cfdisk. hda1, hda2 and hda5 were used by others. I wanted Knoppix to go into hda6, but creating a logical partition was impossible.

I am not happy with this Linux partitioner confusion. I my dreams I see a partitioner with full, bugfree functionality and exchangeable user interfaces on top, but I am too unskilled to develop it.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer