Re: Minutes of Debian Installer IRC meeting of 20040717

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 05:47:34PM +1000, Anibal Monsalve Salazar wrote:
> * 2.4 is the only thing viable on sparc32
> * US and Amiga seem to have issues with 2.6 as well
> * ia64 boot with 2.6 not ready yet
> * alpha won't be on 2.6 until until there's some sign of the PCI fixes
>   making it into the kernel-images

Update: the PCI fixes are reported to be in kernel-source-2.6.7, but no
kernel-images are available on alpha yet that build from this source.

> vorlon said that alpha is in pretty solid shape; the two big
> outstanding issues for them are that automatic partitioning doesn't
> yet account for the space aboot needs, and that 2.4 kernel images in
> the archive are still in need of a major PCI fix. He estimates that
> it affects close to 1/4 of the alpha hardware. 2.6 hasn't been tried
> yet.

An updated aboot-installer has been uploaded to the archive this
evening.  I've pounded on this a fair amount over the weekend, so I
believe it's ready for sarge immediately.  This should mostly address
the aboot space issue; in addition, I need to commit some alpha-specific
partman-auto recipes to go with it.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer