Re: installing SATA modules

On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 01:12:34PM +0200, Thomas S wrote:
> Hello I'm new on this list and yet initiating to Debian.
>
> I would like to install sata-modules-2.6.6(or 2.6.7)-powerpc-di, but on the package page (http://packages.debian.org/testing/debian-installer/sata-modules-2.6.6-powerpc-di) it tells :

Where would you like to install it ?

> ''Warning: This package is intended for the use in building debian-installer images only. Do not install it on a normal Debian system''

Ok, this is normal since it is an d-i .udeb, not a normal debian package
?

> What does it mean exactly, that I cant't put it in Woddy ? That i can't use apt (I can't verify because I had to remove Woody because of bad install...problem is that I don't succeed installing Sarge on PowerPc etc. etc.) ? ....

ARG, what are you trying to do ? Installing those modules on your woody
system ? What kernel are you running on it anyway ?

In any case those module .udebs, as the message says, are intented
solely for debian-installer (or for other purpose maybe, but in those
case you would know about it), and not to install in a running system.

The 2.6.7 kernels those are based upon are part of the
kernel-image-2.6.7-powerpc package, actually available in unstable, and
hopefully available in sarge for tuesday/wednesday. Actually the above
mentioned .udebs are extracted from the kernel-image package in the
first place to build the debian-installer initrd.

I don't think there are any woody backport of those, altough you could try
for them, or even try to install the unstable packages in your woody system,
but you would need initrd-tools and module-init-tools at least to make it work.

Hope this is helpfull.

Friendly,

Sven Luther