Re: pcmcia-cs not to call ifup/ifdown by default?

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 21:47 +0200, Thomas Hood wrote:
> Some drivers don't automatically unregister the interface when the
> hardware disappears.
[...]
> > What if you have two cards of the same type and only remove one? Since
> > you can't remove the driver because it's needed by the other card,
> > will the interface of the first card not disappear then?
>
> It will disappear because the driver will unregister it.

But what about the drivers which don't automatically unregister the
interface then?

> I remembered another reason why we want to move toward letting hotplug
> ifupdown interfaces.  Cardmgr doesn't work with ifrename.  If you
> rename an interface with ifrename, cardmgr still uses the old name.

OK. Having one system responsible for this is probably good in any
case.

IMHO, hotplug should be responsible for bringing up all interfaces, at
least on desktop/laptop systems. Maybe ifplugd could be installed by
default. There could also be a default entry in /e/n/interfaces which
enabled DHCP on all unconfigured interfaces and link-local/zeroconf if
DHCP fails. This would all be post-sarge, of course.

--
Pelle