Multiple problems with d-i on Dell Latitude (i386)
I used the netinst (105 MB image) of 2004-07-01. Some problems occured:
1. Method 'linux26': Hangs during PC card phase. Had to switch off.
2. Method 'linux26 hw-detect/pcmcia=off (or so)': Did not detect the
ethernet device (Broadcom 570x Gigabit). No idea which driver to use
from the list, so rebooted.
3. Method 'linux': No PC card probs :-) No network driver probs :-)
Installed grub on /dev/hda3 (because XP uses /dev/hda1,2) and I do
not want grub as primary boot manager on that machine.
Killed the MBR! No boot from HD at all possible.
4. Same as 3, but installed grub in the MBR, which works, but was not
the original intention.
5. Upgrade to kernel 2.6: Again, the ethernet is dead, so I'm stuck
6. A colleague was unhappy about the 'ar' support, because it goes
left-to-right and the letters are detached from each other, which
seems to be unnormal for 'ar'.