Re: USB Problems

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:23:46 -0400, Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:

> Nathan Widmyer wrote:
> > I'm trying to install Debian sarge on a hard drive in a USB enclosure.
> >  I got the 110MB sarge image.
>
> Which version?

The date on the file is June 22nd, so thats either the date from the
original file on debians' server or the date I finished downloading
the image.  If there a way to tell definitely because opening the
readme, it only says "Debian GNU/Linux testing "Sarge" - Official
NetInst Snapshot i386 Binary-1 CD"

> > I can boot with either 2.4 or 2.6
> > kernel and after I partition the hard drive and when it starts to
> > write the base-install data, the busy light on the drive enclosure
> > stays on continuously, even after my laptop is powered down.  I get a
> > dbootstrap error, and in a console, it says it can't find the USB
> > device file.  If I go back through the setup, the USB hard drive is
> > not shown anywhere to install to.  To resume normal operation I have
> > to turn the enclosure off, wait an appropriate amount of time, then
> > turn it back on then it's okay.
> >
> > The only non-standard thing I do is add the option
> > "hw-detect/start_pcmcia=false" because if not, when PCMCIA is loaded,
> > it locks up my laptop and I need to remove the AC adapter and battery
> > before it will budge.
> >
> > The enclosure is a Hotway HD2-U2FW Firewire 400/USB 2.0 enclosure
> > arouund a Maxtor 80GB hard drive.  The enclosure has had 0 problems in
> > Windows, so it sounds like something is fishy with the USB HDD
> > drivers.
>
> Yes, it sounds like large data transfers are hosing the drive..
>
> --
> see shy jo
>

> signature.asc - 1K

Is that something the folks that write Debian can fix or is that more
for the linux kernel crowd?