USB Problems

I'm trying to install Debian sarge on a hard drive in a USB enclosure.
 I got the 110MB sarge image.  I can boot with either 2.4 or 2.6
kernel and after I partition the hard drive and when it starts to
write the base-install data, the busy light on the drive enclosure
stays on continuously, even after my laptop is powered down.  I get a
dbootstrap error, and in a console, it says it can't find the USB
device file.  If I go back through the setup, the USB hard drive is
not shown anywhere to install to.  To resume normal operation I have
to turn the enclosure off, wait an appropriate amount of time, then
turn it back on then it's okay.

The only non-standard thing I do is add the option
"hw-detect/start_pcmcia=false" because if not, when PCMCIA is loaded,
it locks up my laptop and I need to remove the AC adapter and battery
before it will budge.

The enclosure is a Hotway HD2-U2FW Firewire 400/USB 2.0 enclosure
arouund a Maxtor 80GB hard drive.  The enclosure has had 0 problems in
Windows, so it sounds like something is fishy with the USB HDD
drivers.