Re: ssh support for notebooks :) --> screen?

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 01:25:21AM +0200, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 08:21:18PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > openssh-client-udeb. I didn't package scp because it's straightforward
> > to do the same thing with ssh and tar, but I suppose I could add it.
>
> openssh-client-udeb is sufficient for me. I only meant some SCP like
> functionality.  I really doubt needs to login to another machine from a
> machine running on initrd.  So really stripped down ssh shall be enough
> (no X forwarding etc.)

Sure, although some people (e.g. me :-)) do like to be able to log into
other machines from the middle of a d-i install. You can use that
facility to ask for help, for instance.

> Just nit pick.  It is ssh+cat == scp. 'scp foo name@host:bar' is like
> '<foo ssh name@host "cat - >bar"'. "tar" is a sepatete issue although
> it is an idiom used with ssh to move multiple files.  (These files will
> not be concatenated if moved with ssh+tar in the famous way.)

I beg to differ. scp preserves file modes, for instance, unlike ssh+cat.

> By the way, speaking of basic functionality of initrd, I do not see
> "screen" command missing in initrd nor in pool/* as udeb.  I wonder how
> you are handling some operations which kill the remote terminal
> connection used for the install.

We don't perform such operations. :-)

Cheers,