unstable modconf: FATAL: Failed to open config file /etc/modprobe.conf: No such file or directory

Hello

I have just dist-upgraded my freshly essencial woody installation to
unstable.  But modconf doesn't seem to work with kernel 2.6.7 (compiled
from kernel.org) giving the error:

FATAL: Failed to open config file /etc/modprobe.conf: No such file or
directory

I have removed /etc/modprobe.conf but the error remains.
Is this a bug or I'm just not seeing the answer to the problem?

Best regards
Marco