Re: symlinks in /boot vs. symlinks in /

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 12:05:19PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> [2004.06.19.0208 +0200]:
> > Changing the bootloader installers in d-i now to accept symlinks
> > either in / or in /boot (i.e. to be strictly more tolerant) would
> > make some sense; but it should be at the discretion of the port
> > maintainers, must be well-tested with both rootskel defaults, and
> > we should not consider this a release blocker in any way.
>
> Uhm, the installers don't have to be tolerant, since they only deal
> with what rootskel does. Some bootloaders like grub would have to
> become tolerant.

It helps for the installers to continue to be tolerant of symlinks in /
when possible, since then they can deal with either unchanged or changed
rootskel. This means that the dependency is only one-way rather than
two-way, which gives us more freedom in selecting udebs to propagate to
testing.

It's also very easy to be tolerant, if my experiences with
yaboot-installer are any guide.