Re: symlinks in /boot vs. symlinks in /

also sprach Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> [2004.06.19.0208 +0200]:
> How about we futz with this sort of thing near the beginning of
> a release cycle, not near the end?

Yeah, but that would actually be productive. We wouldn't want that.

I was on a rampage last night. I agree that it should not be
a showstopper, but it would be nice to keep it in the back of our
heads.

> Changing the bootloader installers in d-i now to accept symlinks
> either in / or in /boot (i.e. to be strictly more tolerant) would
> make some sense; but it should be at the discretion of the port
> maintainers, must be well-tested with both rootskel defaults, and
> we should not consider this a release blocker in any way.

Uhm, the installers don't have to be tolerant, since they only deal
with what rootskel does. Some bootloaders like grub would have to
become tolerant.

Anyway, I'll bring up the issue again when Sarge is out.

`. `'`