Re: [SOLVED] Take 3: sparc64 CDs work?

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 09:58:13AM +0300, Ognyan Kulev wrote:
> Gary Parker wrote:
> > Well, it certainly used to be the case on Ye Olde SPARCs (talking IPX and
> > +1's here) that the size of kernel and/or initrd you could boot from
> > depended on the size of the first two memory modules in the machine
> and it
> > was therefore essential to have the two largest modules at the
> beginning of
> > the memory map.
>
> Then this needs to be documented in the installation manual (or
> somewhere else), right?

This is documented in the memory installation instructions in the official
sun service manual. There are many many different configurations, depending
on the system and on how much memory you have in total.
I found this out when I tried to install SunOS which also crashed.

Moving the DIMMs around as you did may not have solved the issue
completely, so I'd recommend you still check.

http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/hardware/docs/Workstation_Products/Workstations/SPARCstation_Workstations/index.html

--
Martin