Re: RAID1 on / planned?

Martin Michlmayr wrote:

* W. Borgert <debacle@debian.org> [2004-06-11 15:00]:
- Is RAID1 on / planned to be supported?  IMHO, it doesn't
  make much sense to have RAID1 support, but not on /.  OK,
  you may save the / or /boot from time to time manually
  on the second disk, but that's not convenient...

I intend to work on this after rc1 has been released.  There is one
problem with mkinitrd which will be easy to fix; apparently, there are
problems with the boot loader too.  I don't know details, though.

I haven't seen problems with mkinitrd and RAID1 on the x86 arch, at least circa the end-of-May daily builds (just with mkinitrd defaulting to LVM1 instead of LVM2 when running root-on-LVM-on-RAID).

I've switched my testing system to /boot and / on seperate RAID1 partitions (I installed with root on LVM on RAID), and now the only issues I have are with grub. Both update-grub and grub-install fail when they can't find /dev/md? as a BIOS device.

This seems to me to be a problem with the scripts trying to be either too smart for their own good, or not quite smart enough (note the debian-stable grub-update script works fine with RAID1, but you have to install grub by hand). You can 'trick' update-grub by manually adding /dev/md0 to the device.map file in /boot/grub, but that seems like a very dirty hack, probably with several unintended (and likely nasty) consequenses farther down the line.

I'm pretty handy with shell scripting, and could probably come up with a fix to the grub stuff (espeically with the nice auto-detect stuff in mkinitrd already working!), if that would be of assistance.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles@steinkuehler.net