install parameters 2.6

Dear devel friends,
     Please,  could one of you be so kind as to answer this post.  it is a
problem for immense numbers of people who have new laptops and need to be
able to install debian with the 2.6 kernel, as we need our hardware
recognised, but must dual boot.
    The 2.6 kernel uses physical geometry readings, which makes dual booting
impossible after using the sarge installer, and this particular problem is
an issue with all distros based upon 2.6, thus being reported everywhere.
   The "workaround" for fc2 is to use the install parameters
hda=xxxx,xxx,xx.
   Will this work in the sarge installer, i e, at original prompt,
"linux26 hda=7296,255,63 no apm?"

If not, how can one install sarge and still be able to dual boot without
becoming a partition table writing maven?

It seems rather silly to use a kernel without, for example, prism gt drivers
because the partition writing programme in the installer cannot use the same
bios readings that windows needs, does it not?

It seems equally illogical to build an install only to have to upgrade the
kernel.

Any help from the real experts?

Thanks.