Re: World Domination 102: Bi-di text support in d-i

Steve Langasek wrote:
> Do we have this much space available on all of our initrd images?  (Can
> someone tell me which images are tightest on space?)

The stats.txt in the daily build dir is supposed to tell us this kinda
thing. I've just corrected some innacuracies for images without kernels,
like the root floppy, so the numbers will be accurate for those after
today's builds. I don't know about non-i386, but for i386 we have 37k
free on the root floppy.

> If we don't have 52k to spare, there are two possibilities.  First, we
> can try to do library reduction on libfribidi0.  This can potentially
> get us down to 32k.  Second, since the interface is simple enough and
> libslang already depends on libdl, we could have libslang dlopen()
> libfribidi, so that its presence in the initrd is optional.  In the
> second case, we wouldn't get the space savings of library reduction on
> those images that do include bidi support, but it would mean it could be
> omitted from any images that are tight on space.

I think library reduction would be good, since 20k is a rather large
gain all around. However, being able to drop libfribidi from the root
floppy entirely is certianly better, especilly if we end up splitting
off arabic to its own floppy to save space.

> Finally, once all of this is done, I've also gotten approval from the
> debootstrap maintainer to NMU for bug #253229.  Adding libfribidi0 to
> the package list for debootstrap now will make it possible to add bidi
> support to the main libslang package after d-i rc2 releases, which means
> we should be able to get full bidi support for debconf into sarge (even
> if it just means sneaking it into a gap between rc2 and the final
> release ;).

Yeah, I think that works.

--
see shy jo