Re: Problems/workarounds for install to root on LVM on RAID

* Josha Foust <jfoust@mankowindows.com> [2004-05-27 11:46]:
> A rather serious problem I encountered when running LVM on RAID is that as
> of a few days ago, RAID wasn't automatically activated on startup.

This has been fixed.

> I also had problems when deleting and re-adding lvm and raid partitions.  It
> tended to cause lockup in 35dump.  Sorry, don't have any logs of that.

Can you try a current image from
http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/sarge_d-i/ and see if you can
still see this problem?  There was a fix about this recently, but I
don't know if it really fixed the problem.

> I also tried lvm on raid with a 2.6 kernel but pvscan just ran forever and
> kept growing in memory size.  It had over 400MB of memory when I killed it.

Was this under d-i, or can you also reproduce this with a normal
installation?  What version of lvm did you use (1 or 2, and which
version exactly).

> A small problem I encountered is if you create 2 logical partitions in your
> lvm volume that are the same size and are right next to each other, you
> can't edit the second one without setting up the first.  If you select the

There's a bug filed on partman about partitions the same size not
handled correctly; but I'm not sure this is the same bug.  Is this
before the LVM configuration?

> The raid device also shows it only being 2.0 GB in size when the partition
> underneath it is 79GB.

In partman?  What does /proc/mdstat say?  How many blocks does the
device have?  Is that with 2.4 or 2.6?
--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com