Re: mkvmlinuz instead of miboot (was Re: debian boot CDs & G5

Hi,

Holger Levsen <debian@layer-acht.de> writes:

> Ok, we could get rid of quik-installer or yaboot-installer with
> that

In principle, yes.

> but bootloaders have their features (being able to boot different
> kernels).

Absolutely.  mkvmlinuz is intended for subarchitectures that need to
load the Linux kernel directly from Open Firmware, and therefore need
the ramdisk integrated into it.

> Do I understand the (oldworld) powerpc boot process correctly, that
> to make boot-disks for d-i, we would have to create a hfs-floppy
> (like the ones build for/with miboot) which now contains a vmlinux
> blessed by mkvmlinuz ?

mkvmlinuz does not bless a kernel, it compresses the raw ELF file,
adds a ramdisk and some code to get a valid ELF file again.  The
result is almost certainly too large to fit on a floppy disk.  I
simply do not know whether it could be booted from other media using
only Open Firmware on an Oldworld Mac.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!