hptraid and the others...

Hi guys,

I downloaded last week a daily snapshot of the installer (20040515) and i'd got lots of "fun". :-)

Well, I find the four installation method (linux/expert/linux26/expert26), but because of my pc uses HPT370 for Raid0 i can use only the first 2 options. My disks are 2 Seagate 120 GB hdd-s in striping and at this moment only an XP lives on them. To make faster the install as i did in the past (this is my 5-6. raid0 installation) i created the main partitions under xp by partition magic. So I have one 8500 MB partition for xp system, one 100 MB partition for the /boot in ext3, and one 2 GB for mails/docs etc... After them there are two 100 GB partition for the data/games/images/sounds etc etc. The remaining of the disk (cc 20 GB) is the place for debian. When i started the normal (linux) install the autodetect didn't load the hpt drivers (i could do it by hand from a command line). After then i tried to set up the partitions for the system boot, usr, var etc. i could choose my ready partitions only swap or sw raid or lvm partitions (!!!) The manual partitioning was only that i could choose the free space for debian :-( But cannot associate the partitions with the new system's directories. Ok i thought this is a foolproof installer. I restart the system and i started again with expert... It cannot detect my ide drives on the raid controller i cannot load the hptraid module from the command line.... So i cannot try the expert partitioning solution also.

At this moment i cannot use this installer for set up a basic sarge system. The old installer's kernel contained the hpt drivers in the kernel, not in module (i also dislike initrd). Just i booted from the cd, i made the partitions with cfdisk and i could start the installation.

My question is: Can I use this installer to make a sarge system on hptraid0? And I cannot make the partitions as i like them? My problem also was a pppoe support missing. Anytime the installer will get pppoe support or the ppp package also contains pppoe?

Thanks

Andras