Re: status

Sorry about the previous message.  Apparently one can type CTRL-Enter and send
a message in k-mail. :(
On May 23, 2004 11:04 am, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 10:58:49AM -0600, Lakin Wecker wrote:
> > Colin Watson wrote:
> > > Are you really sure that you're using sid_d-i (note that 'daily' is
> > > now a symlink to sarge_d-i)? For me, the red background was a
> > > symptom of a buglet in bogl-bterm-udeb that has been fixed in sid.
> >
> > Now that you mention the symlink, I'm not actually sure.  I did check
> > the version of the yaboot-installer and it was 0.22 for the supposed
> > sid_d-i image that I used.
>
> How odd; I tried sid_d-i myself today and it was fine. Please send me
> the parts of /var/log/syslog that mention yaboot-installer.

May 23 17:41:09 (none) user.debug main-menu[263]: DEBUG: search for package
resolving kernel-installer, dependency from yaboot-installer
May 23 17:41:09 (none) user.debug main-menu[263]: DEBUG: Menu item
'yaboot-installer' selected
May 23 17:41:10 (none) user.debug main-menu[263]: DEBUG: configure
yaboot-installer, status: 2
May 23 17:41:10 (none) user.notice yaboot-installer: info: subarchitecture:
powermac_newworld
May 23 17:41:11 (none) user.notice yaboot-installer: info: parted dump of
partition table on /dev/discs/disc0/disc:
May 23 17:41:11 (none) user.notice yaboot-installer: info: guess bootstrap
partitions:
May 23 17:41:12 (none) user.notice yaboot-installer: info: guessed default
bootstrap partition:
May 23 17:41:12 (none) user.notice yaboot-installer: error: No bootstrap
partitions found

The screen was still red all the way through.  Other problems encountered:

It doesn't autodetect my DHCP configuration, in fact it doesn't even try.  So
I had to enter that information by hand.

While partitioning the harddrive I still had my previous partitions setup.  I
tried to set their use to a "just use" but the only options available to me
for ALL the partitions was: Use as a newworld bootstrap partition or use as a
swap partition.  In the end I just deleted all linux partitions and used the
guided partitioner to setup everything once again.  When I selected finish
partitioning, it gave me the list of partitions it was going to set up, but
the only partition that it listed with a file-system type was the swap
partition.

At the end of the guided partioning I didn't get a message complaining about
not finding a newworld bootstrap partition which is a first.  However the
yaboot installer can't find it.

I don't have an easy way to get the syslog off of the powerbook and onto this
computer otherwise I would be able to post that somewhere for perusal.

At the original bootprompt I just pressed enter.  I may retry with an
install-powerpc option.

Lakin