Re: A design draft for a debconf based PPP/PPPoE configurator

joshk@triplehelix.org wrote:

What about discussing this kind of things with the ppp maintainer?
I only read debian-boot from time to time.

>pppconfig should load stuff like serial_cs and the PPP modules when it
>starts.
No, it should not. Modules should be autoloaded by modprobe and/or
detect/hotplug.

>1. Would you like to use a DSL or dial-up connection to install
>Debian?
Dialup cannot be supported by the current ppp-udeb package (it lacks at
least a chat binary) and I don't believe supporting a full dialup
netinstall is worth the effort, users probably want to install base
anyway from the 120 MB CD image.

>I'm unsure what kind of configuration PPPoA needs. Also, is this question
It cannot be supported, all non-ethernet modems need a firmware.

>3a. Probe for DSL connection.
>Steal this wholesale from pppoeconf.
Cannot be supported, we are not using rp-pppoe.

Anyway, currently ppp-udeb should support PPPoE netinstall, but it has
not been tested and I do not know when joeyh plans to integrate the
package.
Either it goes in, or the kernel ppp modules package is removed.

--
ciao,
Marco