Re: sarge install problems on powerpc

Colin Watson wrote:
On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 02:20:05PM +1200, Allen Unueco wrote:

It seems to me like after setup base-config has been run the installer is trying to install the kernel. On one console I see an warning saying "failed to bind /target/cdrom" and then apt update fails.

Oh, hey, that's just the base-files/base-installer mismatch; it's fixed
in newer versions of base-installer. Try a newer businesscard or else a
netinst.

I tried last night's official jigdo image and I was able to get past the problem I was having before.

Now the install is failing while trying to --configure the kernel-image package. This is the error I see

Internal Error: (=D) is not a directory!

It looks like it's dieing in kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc-smp-prep.postinst line 99

----
my $image_dir         = "=D";        # where the image is located
----
die "Internal Error: ($image_dir) is not a directory!\n"
    unless -d $image_dir;
----

Not really knowing what "=D" is and how the postinst script works I played around a bit. I changed $image_dir to "/boot" and 'dpkg --configure -a' worked fine. It looks like my kernel is setup but d-i is not happy from the previous error and I can't continue the install and it will not let me configure yaboot, so no debian for me yet.

Another thing I noticed is if from the main menu you abort the install and reboot it does not cleanly unmount the /target filesystem. Each time I attempt to install I have to run fsck from OS X before I can mount the ext3 filesystem.

-allen