Re: D-I TODO item (syslog stuff)

[Jon Peatfield]
> While reading debian-installer/installer/doc/TODO I spotted the
> following:
>
>  * There needs to be a centralised logging method. Syslog will do, but
>    we currently have a lot of nasty code that appends messages to
>    /var/log/messages directly. All of that would be converted to pipe
>    it to logger. However, this is a problem, because piping a command
>    to logger loses the exit status of the command. Need some way to
>    run a command, logging the ouput to syslog, w/o losing exit status.
>
> Is this in fact still outstanding?

Yes, as far as I know, this is still unsolved.  Bastian Blank added a
draft in debian-installer-utils, but it was called exec which is a
reserved word in the shell, so it didn't work and Joey Hess removed
the program again.  It would be nice if someone did a new try, as I
would like to use such wrapper in ddetect (and probably other places
as well).