Re: kernel and init hangouts 2.6.5

Joey Hess wrote:
Kfir Lavi wrote:

Hi,
I'm using the unstable installation /hd-media sarge-i386-netinst.iso
from the current release of i386.
I have IBM thinkpad 570. 366Mhz, 128MB, xircom realport pcmcia nic.

1. when the installation start, the switch to frame buffer sometimes
stuck with white screen - deadlock, just before asking for language.
2. when the installation succeed, when it boots for the first time, it
hangs in some ways:
   a. after founding reiserfs 3.6
   b. in the init script of ext2 and ext3 probing
   c. null pointer.
sometimes it do goes up, but the installation phase exit with error,
after teskel, and downloading packages.
(its not problem of space).
i have brought up the system with kernel 2.4.25 compiled in redhat 9,
and it works fine. ( kernel from kernel.org without patches ).

Are you installing Debian with the 2.4 or 2.6 kernel?

Its kernel 2.6, and i think i found part of the problem.
After i shout down my computer, and then boot the computer, it will go up good.
If i do just reboot without the power shoutdown, the system will hang with the problem i wrote above.
I think its related to the bios of ibm thinkpads.
Regards,
Kfir Lavi